Well, the first snow of the season hit this weekend. Brice is just so cheery...after it melts. In the meantime we all get to hear about how much it "sucks".
So, this year I'm going to tackle winter with some humor. Brice does read the blog once in a great while. I'm not ashamed nor do I feel bad about writing things he says; its not meant to be spouse-bashing at all. I need to get through this with a smile, and I'm sure he will look back and small as well....right, dear/sweetie/honey/whatever we call each other?
Friday at noon-ish it starts snowing. Historically Brice does not call me to update me on weather issues. And if he does it really does not matter...we are 30 minutes apart and the weather is rarely the same in both places. Well, he did tell me Friday to "head home"....it wasn't bad. But, it did get bad later so I will go ahead and give him credit. Though I still stand by my story that no one ever cared where I was until there were 3 "kinda behaved" children running around.
Nevertheless we made the best of an unexpected afternoon at home. Here are a few things that happened:
1. I haven't been sleeping well lately, so decided I'd take a 15 minute nap. Brice called 3 times. I can not remember the reason for any of the phone calls but the end result was the nap was over.
2. I hear a POUNDING on the window. Loud enough I was certain it would break. I see Brice frantic outside with a cow walking up the lane. That one is a long story but I just prior to that had asked the two older kids to say a quick prayer for Dad's safety in the weather. So, credit to the kids and I on that one.
3. I ran out to help him with the cow in sandals and a t-shirt. It was very windy and snowy at this point. While outside Brice decided we would put the chickens in. Well, they have grown accustomed to not going in the shed. The conversation went like this with everything I'm quoting being things said by Brice. "Oh, screw 'em, then can freeze to death", "Damn it Melanie grab that one and get it in the shed", "Forget it just get them in the machine shed", "Corner that one and get it in the chicken shed". I finally just walked in the house. I mean really, my ears were hurting and I could hardly see anything anyway and he was spewing such conflicting information that my head was hurting.
4. I tried posting a picture here but the computer tells me
"Server rejected".
Even the server could tell it was a 'fake selfie'. So on top of everything else on a cold, snowy day....Brice had a truck coming to load some hogs. It was supposed to be at 5:30, turned out to be 8:00. Meanwhile he's in the house every 5 minutes "has the trucker called yet", "has the trucker called yet", "has the trucker called yet". I don't think he understands that often times in the house I'm apt to ignore the phone altogether. Its usually not for me, or is political. Unless someone specifically asks me to listen for a certain call, I often don't. Well, the trucker called when Brice was no where to be found. No surprize. I started asking questions, like "where are we loading from", and "how many hogs". We were fighting before we even started. I prefer to fight via text message; so there was a lot of "you are ducking annoying me", and "its ducking cold", thanks to auto-correct on the phone preventing me from sinning my life away with swear words. So just to be a terd I made Brice take a 'selfie' with me. I had to ask him to smile. We actually look like we like each other in the picture! The arguing continued, because apparantly I was supposed to be counting the hogs, but I wasn't, so I made a mistake (but is it a mistake when you weren't aware you were supposed to be counting them to begin with?)
5. By the end of the day I was sooo tired of the constant negativity emiting from his coveralls. So I said "you know, you did choose this life and you can always go get a job in town if you don't like it." To which he responds "yeah, I'm sure you'd love that. A consistent paycheck.". Well how does one respond to that? "Oh no, the last thing I want is a consistent paycheck?"
End of Winter Storm number 1. I'm ready to go back to work tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment