Nope, its not Gabbie, its my garden! I should say 'our garden' to be more accurate, as Brice works the ground for me in the Spring and Gabbie has become quite good at picking weeds (although a few plants have suffered as a result). This year due to great weather I was able to get things started pretty early in the garden. We've already been through a round of radishes, lettuce, and spinach. More are planted so we can enjoy again soon! I started most of the plants indoors this year; however I did manage to bring more plants home everytime I went to town until finally last week the garden was declared "full". Here's the final tally (and the reason my husband thinks I need to be examined)
1. Minus 2 that Gabbie stepped on last week, there are a total of 95 tomato and pepper plants-I think there are about 70 tomato and 25 pepper. New this year-orange peppers, sweet!2. 8 eggplant, up from the token 1 plant we've enjoyed in years past
3. 12 brocolli, which we have already started to enjoy!
4. 5 cabbage
5. 5 hills of cucumber, which I think amounted to 20 plants.
6. 5 rows of beets, you can never have too many7. 2 rows of onions, which no one here really likes except Brice (we'll call that his Fathers Day gift)
8. 8 cauliflower
9. 2 rows of carrots
10. 5 okra plants-love that stuff!11. 4 rows of beans
12. 'quite a few' watermelon (I haven't revealed this number to Brice yet...everytime we have watermelon he complains about how rough it is on his "system" and I hate to tell him he'll be eating it for a month later this summer)
13. 4 hills of squash
14. Pumpkins, which hopefully will be planted today...somewhere...
I think I may be missing something...but if any of it sounds good to anyone reading this you will have to let me know! We can only eat so much and I can only can and freeze so fast, and I hate to let things go to waste if I can help it. I am proud of myself that I have been keeping on top of the weeds (mostly) despite the rain. It helps that its light out until 9:30!
I'm so grateful that Gabbie loves being outdoors. We seem to be outside for all the available hours in the evening working on the garden, the yard, or playing with her plastic golf clubs :) I'm calling this my summer strategy for keeping the house clean-just plain staying out of it!
Today we are happy to celebrate Fathers Day. Gabbie drew a couple pictures for Brice-he loves when she does that! Otherwise his 'gift' is the recent purchase of a boat. I asked if we could take it out tonight, but was told it does not run....I decided I will wait to ask too many questions about that. I'm celebrating by skipping church to clean the house and obviously brag my garden up on this blog~hopefully God won't mind too much that I just needed a 'regroup' morning to get my house back under control...
I will say a prayer though that everyone has a great week!
I love catching pictures of these 2. This was fishing at the lake, Gabbie loved it!
Another round of rain coming in
Working on the boat...Gabbie had the right idea!
A view of the garden
First head of brocolli of the year
Carrots
More of the garden
The artist working on her Fathers Day pictures, looks like that day she was a "righty"
No comments:
Post a Comment