August is just a crazy busy month for everyone on Earth I'm sure! We all should just be able to take the month off our jobs I do believe. Brice is busy working on bailing hay, fixing up a building, hauling pigs, and daily chores. We have been having supper at 9:30 p.m. instead of after 10 p.m., so that must mean the days are getting slightly shorter!
I have been working on canning, planting the fall garden, home improvement projects (with some much appreciated help from Shelley!), and training for a half-marathon. I am enjoying my switch to not going into work until 9 a.m. It allows me to either run, see a home health client, throw laundry in, or prepare supper before I head to work, and it lets Gabbie wake up on her own time instead of mine. Sometimes Brice will come back in the house and enjoy a cup of coffee with me before we both leave for the day :-)
A few funny stories about Gabbie. 1. So this whole digital converter box business is a load of crap, and on a humid day the TV cuts in and out. One day Gabbie was watching TV while I was making supper, I believe it was Sesame Street, and she would say "Peek a Boo" when the TV would cut out! She'd hide her face in her hands, then when it came back on she'd take her hands away and say "Peek a Boo" again! 2. She has been helping me with the garden and the other day got tangled in the watermelon vines. She stood up and pointed at the vines and started really yelling at it "No No No!" Her vocabulary continues to expand greatly (some recent additions: Hot, Tractor, Shirt, Short, Cup, Thanks....that's all I can think of for now). She still calls Brice by his first name, and although we do admit its funny we are trying to get her to say "dad". She's so darn helpful outside with picking up apples, putting her toys away, and petting Gypsy. Her personality is really starting to develop. So far we think she's generous (enjoys sharing), fun loving, mostly happy, but don't make her mad. (gee, that last one doesn't sound like her Mom at all...)
This past month we have been to the State Fair, Iowa City, Farm Fest including the Kiddie Parade, and the 1st Annual Sauk Rail Trail Ride, and I've enjoyed some time off to get caught up here at home. I've been proud that this year I canned pickles, apple butter, salsa, seasoned tomatoes, pickled beets, pickled okra, and some other items to enjoy during the winter. It feels good to have some 'all natural/home grown' food put away.
I had one of the best birthdays I've ever had this past week thanks to some great people in my life! Some close patients send me balloons at work, cake and balloons from a co-worker, fun times out to eat, I just felt spoiled all around! Birthdays are great :-)
Here are some pictures, hope you enjoy! Happy Fall! And....go Cyclones-thats for you Sarah ;-)
Melanie
The 'spread' at Amy's bridal shower, looks yummy!
One of the many coolers full of garden produce...the rain has been good for some things!
Playing with our friend, Irma :-)
The flooding on our way to Iowa City...so many prayers for those people as they clean up
Enjoying a lift from Aunt Mindy in Downtown Ia City
A wet family at the State Fair! The 'ribbon' next to me kept bumping me with her giant head...
How tall this year?! 33 inches and 29 pounds :-)
At the Kiddie Parade, she won first in her division! (Also the only entry!)
Glad George was willing to do this ride with Gabbie. Brice and I were both still sick from the previous ride!
Part of the birthday celebration crew!
More birthday fun!
Scenery on the Sauk Trail Ride.
Enjoying a stop along the trail for some Root Beer!
No comments:
Post a Comment